Tuesday 30 March 2010

Self-Directed Project: "Suzie Doozy"


Remember these? Of course not because I never posted this but these characters are old and were part of my failed experiment to create an animation out of them. If anyone wants to have a read about my previous project, head to:
Then I decided to make character driven animation shorts, but that task soon became too big for me and very quickly the project I set for myself became less fun.
So I went away to figure out my strengths and weaknesses. I know that I am strong visually and have a penchant for all things illustration. I also like to experiment with different media, both digital and traditional. I still have lots to learn technically and there is little time so its best to not give myself any tasks that I know that I would not be able to handle.
So, now I decided to update my previous project to better suit my strengths. The project is now fully about character development. I will use some of the existing designs from my previous project to develop a tv show title sequence and a trailer to advertise it and merchandise (a little plush toy comes to mind). The idea is to explore the strength of a character and its readability in different forms and mediums. The main character I am focusing on is "Little Girl". I am very happy with her design and I think that the character has a lot of potential, in terms of application in different media. As of now she will be known as "Suzie Doozy". The reason "Doozy" is Suzie's last name is because she always gets herself into trouble when she expects it least and it becomes a "doozy" of a problem for her!
For those that don't know what "doozy"means, here is a definition: 

Doozy (plural doozies)
1. (US) something that is extraordinary. Often used in the context of troublesome, difficult or problematic, but can be used positively as well.
2. Most of the test was easy, but the last question was a doozy.

I feel the name "Suzie Doozy" has a nice ring to it and it will be the title of my hypothetical animation series made for tv. 
Next we have the antagonist. "Bad Tyke Jake" is the neighborhood bully and everyone fears him and he always seems to pick Suzie as his victim. At times of crisis, Suzie seeks help from her mum, "Mother Doozy", who is part 50s housewife, part superhero who's job is to save and aid  Suzie in her moments of trouble. I will outline the characters in greater detail in later posts.

So, what will I be submitting:
1. Folio of concept art.
 - character development (characters in rotation, poses, etc)
 - style guides
 - color script
 - animatics (one for trailer, one for opening credits)

2. TV show advertising spot/s (trailer)
 - 2D animation produced in After Effects.
 - This piece will show the characters as they would normally appear in the animated tv series.
3. Opening Titles
-Aesthetic style reminiscent of legendary title designers Saul Bass and Maurice Binder
- The characters will be very stylised and stripped back to its most basic geometric form made out of cut out paper pieces. This piece will be a test of strength of the character design.
4. Merchandising
- a plush toy of "Suzie Doozy" to explore the character in 3d form, which is also tangible.
-a printed piece such as postcards or a poster.

More details later.
 

No comments: