Monday 21 April 2008

Project 1: The Posthuman

Now back to some actual work. I've handed in my project not so long ago and now I am going to put up the documentation up.
To me the term 'Posthuman' is better described as 'Beyond Human'. I believe that all this craze with robots in sci-fi movies is a little unrealistic although it may well be entertaining. I think as humans we tend to go too far in terms of advancing but then we get intimidated and eventually yearn for simpler times. Thats my opinion anyway.
I am therefore much more interested in exploring parallel or alternative existence. Such as our subconscious, dreams , time travel or a world that we do not yet know of. And the questions to ask are: Do we change in any way in this new world or do we look and feel the same? Is time still a part of our lives? Is it real? Is it tangible? Or is it just fabricated by our mind? 
All of these questions are worth asking, but when we ask about change, metamorphosis of  a human being automatically becomes a subtopic for our discussion and is being explored visually throughout the movie.
Originally, my theme was going to explore the afterlife of a human and had this idea of a person falling to their eventual life end, further emphasized by images like broken glass, clouds, etc.
However, I couldn't find a model to play the part and so I played it myself. After seeing the footage and putting it into the afterlife context, I became superstitious. So I changed the topic and was still able to use the same footage and the idea of mixing footage with still images. I was happy that my initial concept was flexible enough to accommodate any last minute changes.

No comments: